If you work in an office, then you know the stress it can put on your body. Sitting in an office chair all day can harm your posture and cause back and knee pain. The Gaiam Balance Ball Chairs are hybrid chairs that are more comfortable than a yoga ball but every bit as practical as a desk chair. In this Gaiam Balance Ball Chair review, we will cover the specifications of this chair, how you can use it, and what benefits it brings.
These chairs are intended for people who work office jobs. If you have noticed that your desk job is causing you back pain, this chair may be for you. It is a combination of an office chair and a yoga balance ball. It can correct your posture while also giving you a comfortable place to sit all day at work. Moreover, it helps tone your core muscles by making them stronger.
It’s important to note from the beginning of this Gaiam Balance ball chair review that, while you won’t get six pack abs, you will be able to sit up more easily and comfortably. This ball also helps you stay focused on your tasks because it does not allow you to slouch over your desk the way you normally might. You also have to focus on your balance, which can be achieved by using the correct posture and engaging the right muscles.
- Cynthia Carpenter
- Kindle Edition
- Edition no. 2 (10/07/2014)
- JESSIE K DAVID, ANTONY JEGADISH
- Jessie K David
- Kindle Edition
Gaiam Balance Ball Chair Specifications
The Gaiam Balance comes as a single chair. There is some assembly required, but it is not difficult to complete. With this chair, you get a ball to balance on and a sturdy back to lean against. This makes it more practical than simply sitting on a short balance ball at a desk. Not only does it give the chair more height, it offers you something to press your back against for more comfort.
The chair can be adjusted thanks to the different kind of balls to choose from. You don’t have to worry about your height being a factor like you might with a regular balance ball.
This chair combines the look and adjustability of an office chair. It also features wheels that make it easy to move around the room. This helps the chair slide in between different parts of your desk as well.
The ball is inflatable, and you have to inflate it on your own. However, that is easy to do. Afterward, you just set the ball on the base of the chair.
How to Use Gaiam Balance Ball Chair
These chairs are perfect for anyone with bad posture or who sits at a desk all day. They are simple to maneuver around and comfortable to sit in. They will subtly adjust your posture without you even realizing it’s happening.
The first step to using the balance ball is inflating it, as stated in the previous sections of our Gaiam Balance ball chair review. It is important that the ball is inflated to the correct height. If not, it is only going to be counterproductive. The package will tell you what size the ball needs to be inflated to, so that makes things easy for you.
Once the ball has been inflated, you are free to sit down on the chair. It can take a bit of time to get used to sitting on the ball comfortably. After all, you have been used to sitting on something flat this entire time. Sit down and keep your back straight.
Try not to lean against the bar but instead position your back in line with it. You will want your thighs and your shins to be at a 90-degree angle. If this is not the case, deflate the ball little by little until they achieve such an angle.
Sitting up straight and balancing on this ball will naturally improve your core strength. You can try bouncing a little bit on it to help the progress along if you want.
Training Plan Tips
This section of our Gaiam Balance ball chair review focuses on how to make the most of your experience with this ball chair. Take advantage of the tips below to optimize your time on the ball.
- Use it as long as it is comfortable. This is a workout ball as much as it is a desk chair. This means that just like any other workout, eventually, you are going to get tired. Because of this, you may only want to use it for a few hours a day. Keep a desk chair nearby for when the fatigue sets in or your core muscles are too tired to hold you up properly.
- Leave notes to remind yourself to sit up straight. While the ball is designed to help you keep your posture, you may forget and slouch other parts of your body. The ball will force your spine upright, but your legs and arms become your job to keep track of.
- Keep the ball at the right inflation levels. The key to having an efficient Gaiam Balance Ball Chair is having it inflated to the proper amount. Check it periodically and ensure that it has not deflated. The chair comes with a pump that will help you keep it up.
- Keep sharp objects away from the ball. It may sound silly, but all it takes is a slip of the scissors before your chair becomes deflated!
- WHAT'S INCLUDED - 40 pound set includes two handles, four 2.5-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, 4 collars, and a plastic storage/carrying case
- CONSTRUCTION - Durable cast iron plates have a semi-gloss finish offers a rust and maintenance-free product. Dumbbell handles are made from solid steel
- FEATURES - Set features ergonomic grips, comfortable handles, and rubber trimmed collars. Collars are threaded for a secure fit to handles
- VERSATILE - Dumbbells offer the ability to target specific muscle groups or get a full body workout
- FUNCTIONAL - Perfect for isolations, full body, functional, and HIIT workouts
Recommended read: If you want to get more benefits than what this chair offers on its own, we also recommend getting some adjustable dumbbells to speed up the posture correction process!
Gaiam Balance Ball Chairs Effects
- ALTERNATIVE DESK CHAIR: Created by leading health & fitness experts to improve overall well-being and provide an active outlet for having to sit for long periods of time
- BOOST ENERGY LEVELS: Featuring the same yoga ball as the exercise guide, this chair helps to boost energy levels and increase productivity with an active body and a focused and engaged mind
- RECOMMENDED USER HEIGHT: Designed for users 5' to 5'11" tall and fits most standard-height desks. For a taller chair, add 2 inches with Gaiam's compatible leg extenders, sold separately. 300-pound weight capacity. Weight :13 pounds
- INCLUDES: Removable 52-centimeter exercise ball, an air pump, an adjustable metal support bar, 4 easy-glide casters (2 back wheels lockable) and a desktop exercise guide to stay active
- INFLATION INSTRUCTIONS: It may be necessary to re-inflate the ball after initial inflation to allow the ball's material to stretch to its final size. Inflate ball with air, let stand for 24 hours, deflate 50% then fill again to 52cm height
These types of chairs offer a lot of great benefits. Good posture helps induce a number of other positive things for the body. With this ball, you could experience less pain in your knees and hips. This is because it positions your legs at the proper angle. It can also help reduce back pain, as it forces you to sit totally upright. Another benefit is improved circulation because blood is able to move through your body with greater ease than if you were slouched over.
The Gaiam Balance Ball Chairs are intended to correct the posture of those who sit in them. They are designed specifically for people who sit in offices all day long. These chairs can help fix posture, take away knee, hip, and back pain, and improve blood flow.
We hope our Gaiam Balance Ball Chair review has provided you with plenty of information for you to decide if this type of chair is right for you. Don’t forget to share any prior experience you’ve had with these chairs.